Just some fast updates and thoughts about the “spy story”:
- We should remember that Claus Hjort Frederiksen and Jens Rohde are the Danish equivalent of the Slime Machine (I’m still grateful to Brad deLong for coining that term). Jarl Cordua – who has more than one axe to grind with Messrs CHF and JR – has more. Also: Kristian Madsen from the red corner.
- Anders Fogh Rasmussen didn’t know what Claus Hjort was up to? Gimme a break: CHF has been AFR’s hatchet man since 1998.
- During Mogens Lykketoft’s term as SD chairman, Henrik Sass Larsen was sidelined. It could give him the motive to undermine the party leadership – but it would also mean that his informations wouldn’t be of the first order.
- “Ekstra Bladet’s story is Bent Falbert’s story” – meaning that a lot of EB reporters wouldn’t touch it. And the same applies to a lot of other media.
- Mikkel Favrholt has a career to consider. I would be careful when judging his statements.
What was the point of the story? Obviously Hjort Frederiksen (again) appears as the Liberal’s hatchet man assisted by a number of Liberal spokesmen. The real target isn’t Sass Larsen but Helle Thorning-Schmidt.
I mean – “would you elect an inexperienced politician who cannot gauge her closest advisors as prime minister?”
Remember that polls show that the undecided are more left- than right-leaning. The closer the race, the more poisonous the campaign.