The Swedish tabloid Expressen has published some interesting advice in its business-section. The premise is that when you are applying for a new job, chances are that your prospective employer has already Google™d you.
What to do? Expressen offers five strategies:
- Google™ yourself (including using other search engines).
- Keep track of when your name is mentioned on the internet, for instance through Google™ Alert
- Start a blog (if you don’t feel like setting something up yourself, try Blogger or WordPress.com)
- Get a homepage (if you use a Mac, then iWeb or – if you are a little more ambitious RapidWeaver can be recommended)
- Finally, get yourself mentioned on other websites (here I would like to thank CrookedTimber.org where I have posted a number of strange comments and my colleage Nicholas Aylott for his unfailing support.
I will have to admit, though, that I have never, ever Google™d my own name. One of my colleagues did that, only to discover that she was some kind of Indian floor decoration.